10 Things You Need To Know About Chinese Kung Fu
Kung Fu, also known as Chinese martial arts, is a perfect combination of exercise, practical self-defense, self-discipline and it has seen a massive upsurge in interest in the world in recent years. Now let’s take a look at some things that you need to know about Kung Fu.
1. Kung Fu is Chinese martial arts that utilizes kicks, blocks, and both open and closed hand strikes. It was formerly cultivated for self-defense, but now a form of body-building and fitness practices.
2. Chinese Kung Fu was originated more than 6,000 years ago for the need for self-defense, hunting techniques and military training in ancient China.
3. The term Kung Fu or ‘Gong Fu’ in Chinese means “work hard.” So Kung Fu learners need to work hard on training to develop skills.
4. Chinese Kung Fu is usually practiced with bare hands, while sometimes with some simple weapons such as swords, knives and spear, etc.
5. A Kung Fu learner should follow a master or join a training school to learn Kung Fu systematically. The common training includes the basic skills, routines, weapons handling and others.
6. Some westerners think that all Chinese people are Kung Fu masters. That’s not true, real kungfu masters are rare at any times. In China in the past there were many Kung Fu masters but very few of them would accept students.
7. Those well-known Chinese Kung Fu masters include Bruce Lee, founder of Jeet Kune Do, Yip Man, a Wing Chun master, Wong Fei-hung, a master in Hung Gar Boxing, Zhang Sanfeng, the originator of Tai Chi, etc.
8. There are lots of distinct types of Kung Fu styles in the country. The most influential styles include Shaolin Kung Fu, Tai Chi, Intention Boxing, Eight-Diagram Palm, Southern Fist, Wing Chun and Qigong.
9. Since 1970s, Kung Fu became known to the world through Kung Fu movies by Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan and Jet Li, etc. The most famous Kung Fu films include Fists of Fury, Way of the Dragon, Shaolin Temple, Drunken Master, Ip Man, Crouching Tiger and Hidden Dragon etc.
10. Chinese Kung Fu novels, also known as Wuxia, are very popular in Asia. Notable writers like Jin Yong, Liang Yusheng and Gu Long have many popular Wuxia works.